Lucasfilm has announced today via a posting on StarWars.com that they have mutually parted ways with Colin Trevorrow as director of Episode IX. This news comes on the heels of the report from last month that said Jack Thorne had been brought on board as a new writer for the film.
Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.
It remains to be seen how/if the directorial change for the ninth film in the Skywalker saga affects the stated May 24, 2019 release date.
UPDATE: We may not know the exact reasoning behind the break up, but Entertainment Weekly states there had been friction between Lucasfilm and Trevorrow for the past several months. Variety’s sources appear to echo the same sentiments, with the overall direction of the script being the catalyst and The Hollywood Reporter says sources told them the relationship between Lucasfilm and Trevorrow had become “unmanageable.”
And while his Episode VIII has yet to land in theaters, Deadline believes director Rian Johnson should be placed at the top of the list of possible replacement directors.