In an interview he conducted with Bloomberg, Disney CEO Bob Iger stated that Disney will be hitting the pause button for a bit on future Star Wars theatrical films after the release of Episode IX which will be bringing the story of the Skywalker saga to an end.
“We have not announced any specific plans for movies thereafter,” Iger said in a Bloomberg Television interview Thursday. “There are movies in development, but we have not announced them.”
Iger had previously spoken about slowing down the release of new Star Wars films in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter that took place in September.
With the new Disney+ streaming service set to launch in November here in the US, Disney will be placing their focus on developing new Star Wars content for that medium.
After that, the franchise will focus more on TV projects, Iger said.
“We will take a pause, some time, and reset,” he said, “because the Skywalker saga comes to an end with this ninth movie. There will be other Stars Wars movies, but there will be a bit of a hiatus.”
It remains to be seen how this approach will affect (if at all) the planned release of the trilogy of films being developed by Rian Johnson as well as those set to come from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff & D.B. Weiss.