Our good friend Cathy Kendrick has asked us to share this great opportunity to help support Rancho Obi-Wan at Celebration Chicago in April. Rancho Obi-Wan is a public charity (501c) which is the home of the worlds largest collection of Star Wars memorabilia, and it is owned by the wonderful ambassador and author Steve Sansweet. Here’s all the details you need to play Star Wars With Friends — places are limited so take the link to sign up now.
Star Wars With Friends is a game. It is also a FUNdraiser for Rancho Obi-Wan. The goal of the game is to create Star Wars related words or phrases using special letter tile pins. Creating words earns you points, and points can be turned in for prizes while prizes last.
There are a set number of special prizes (patches, temporary tattoos and drink coasters, plastic medallions) set aside for each day (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon). There are other one of a kind donated prizes that can also be selected while they last.
To play the game you make a donation of $10 (minimum) to Rancho Obi-Wan to get a starter pack.
The starter pack contains a Button showing you are playing the game (wear it on your lanyard like any swag button). You’ll have 7 letter tile pins, a ribbon, and a safety pin.
You will arrange to pick these up from me at Celebration. I will let you know my hotel if you want to pick it up there before the show starts. I will be constantly posting where I will be at Celebration, and will make a point of starting most days at the Rancho Obi-Wan booth for pick ups. I will also be stopping by the on-site hotels at various points/times for folks to arrange pick up. YOU are responsible for picking up your starter pack.
The goal of the game is to create Star Wars words or phrases. Spell VADER. Spell CORUSCANT or WOOKIEE or even MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.
Just like in Scrabble, each letter has a point value and the bigger the overall point value of the word or phrase you make, the bigger the prize you might win. And definitely the more you can brag! There are a limited number of prizes, and there is no guarantee you will win a prize, but any player who makes any size word will get a sticker.
How will I spell these words or phrases you ask? Especially with only 7 letter tiles to start? Well, the game is called Star Wars With Friends. You should seek out other players and swap tile pins to create words. If you want to make a word that requires more than 7 letters, you can convince other players to swap you extra tiles (who says a swap has to be 1:1?) you can BUY extra tiles for a donation, or you can WIN extra tiles at random points during the game (there will only be a few chances for free tiles so don’t count on this).This is a FUNdraiser, so obviously you are encouraged to buy some extra tiles, but it is definitely not required. I don’t care if you bribe other players with swag or other items to get letter tiles you need.
You can check your word in via FB with a phone photo, or you can submit it in person to one of the judges. We’ll assign you points (the letter values, and maybe something extra for creativity/coolness).
Although you can submit via phone, a judge does need to validate in person to be sure tiles are not being re-used. Also, the only way to get a prize is in person.
We will post frequently to the Facebook group about potential meet up times/places where you can meet up with other players to swap tiles, submit words for prizes, etc.
You are encouraged to post frequently to the Facebook group if you are stuck in line and looking for someone to swap tiles with, or if you are going to a particular event and hope to meet others to swap tiles, if you are getting lunch and want to meet others in the food area to swap tiles, etc.
Because Celebration is a HUGE event with a lot of activities going on, we will set up meet times for judging and picking up prizes near the end of each day. But if you phone submit your word and we give it tentative points (based on verification all tiles are good) then you can arrange prize selection/pick up the following day. We will try to make it easy.
There are not a lot of rules in this game but here are the basics:
1. The words or phrases you make must be Star Wars related words.
2. You cannot re-use tiles that have already been used for a prize.
3. You cannot harass or otherwise be unkind to other players (complaints will get you kicked out of the game, so if someone turns down a trade offer, move on).
4. If we run out of prizes before you turn in your word, you are not guaranteed a prize. There are a lot of prizes, but we can’t guarantee prizes. I will do the best I can. There are a lot of prizes. (As an example there are 70 SWWF logo patches set aside for SUNDAY prizes).
5. Cathy (me) is required to SWAP tiles with you if she has a tile on her ribbon you need. It must be a 1:1 swap, but since I am not PLAYING the game, any tiles on my ribbon are available.
6. When buying bonus bags of tiles, you do not get to select based on the tiles in the bag. Sorry! You’ll get a random pull and need to find other players to swap tiles with if the tiles you get don’t happen to help make the word you are trying to make.
7. There are double point tiles (pink) and triple point tiles (green). These are only available in the bonus tile bags you can buy. It is a FUNdraiser for ROW.
Huge kudos to Cathy for taking this on. Please help her and support Rancho Obi-Wan by taking this link to the Facebook group to sign up now!